By: Dr. Raza Shah ND, Clinical Director at St. Jacobs
Naturopathic Clinic in St. Jacobs, ON
Since the inception of this product more than ten years ago, DT-Matrix has been a staple in my practice. Both its diuretic and hepatoprotective properties have allowed it to be one of the top recommended products in my dispensary.
As a part of weight loss regimens, the use of DT-Matrix helps to improve the intracellular to extracellular water ratio (noted by bio-electrical impedance analysis testing before and after treatments). This product can be an effective adjunct for those patients that retain fluid.
Not only does this product show benefit in reducing fluid overload in my obese patients, DT-Matrix can also help to reduce fluid in patients presenting with cardiac issues. Typical dosing for the vast majority of my patients is two capsules on waking and two prior to bed for two weeks. After re-evaluation of body composition I will then titrate my dosing accordingly. The proof is definitely in the pudding with this product as patients consistently experience positive changes with their own body composition.
DT-Matrix is Cyto-Matrix’s liver and kidney detoxification formula with a blend of 7 standardized herbal extracts. Each capsule provides the following ingredient profile:
110mg Beet (root) (Beta vulgaris)
- Traditionally hepatoprotective with alterative properties
- A natural source of nitrates used to upregulate nitric oxide production and therefore, improve blood flow within the body
110mg Artichoke Extract (flower) (Cynara scolymus)
- Traditionally used as a choleretic herb to stimulate the gallbladder and as a hepatoprotective agent
- Clinical trials have demonstrated significant reduction of symptoms in those with dyspepsia and IBS (including bloating, abdominal pain, flatulence and nausea) due to documented increases in bile secretion
- Research also supports lowering of triglycerides and LDL cholesterol, with improvements in liver enzymes in individuals with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)
110mg Milk Thistle Extract (seed) (Silybum marianum; 80% silymarin)
- Perhaps the best-known liver protectant herb, standardized to an exceptionally high proportion of active ingredient (80% silymarin)
- Human clinical trials have shown that milk thistle extracts can normalize liver enzymes in cases of infectious hepatitis or toxin damage and increase endogenous glutathione production
- Placebo-controlled studies in diabetic patients have demonstrated its ability to improve fasting blood glucose, insulin levels, HbA1c and body-mass index (BMI)
- May decrease disease activity and maintain remission in patients with ulcerative colitis when used in combination with conventional therapy
50mg Picrorhiza Kurroa Extract (root) (4% kutkin)
- Traditionally a hepatoprotectant agent with anti-viral properties, used to treat indigestion and constipation
- One randomised, double-blind placebo controlled trial in patients with acute viral hepatitis showed that two weeks of supplementation led to significant decreases in bilirubin, SGOT and SGPT values when compared to placebo. On average, a total serum bilirubin reduction of 2.5mg required only 27.44 days for the treatment group vs. 75.9 days for the placebo group
60mg Bearberry (leaf) (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi)
- An established diuretic herb to facilitate healthy kidney clearance and protect against urinary tract infections by inhibiting adhesion of bacteria to bladder wall
- Documented to exert specific astringent, demulcent and antiseptic effects on the membranes of the urinary tract
100mg Burdock 4:1 (root) (Arctium lappa)
- This herb is widely known as an alterative and diuretic herb, but research has also shown that it can be hepatoprotective
- Animal studies have demonstrated the ability for burdock to decrease elevated transaminase levels and restore glutathione levels in alcohol induced liver damage
100mg Stinging Nettle (leaf) (Urtica dioica)
- Well-known for its diuretic effect on the kidneys
- Clinical research demonstrates that it can improve urinary tract symptoms in men suffering from Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) and also decreases fasting glucose, two-hour postprandial glucose and HbA1c in individuals with uncontrolled Type 2 diabetes when compared to placebo
Collectively, DT-Matrix is indicated for a wide variety of concerns regarding both the kidneys and the liver, such as:
- Acute and chronic infections (bacterial, viral, fungal, parasitic)
- Sluggish digestion
- Individuals with a history of liver disease
- Acute or chronic alcohol use
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Chronic kidney stones
DT-Matrix is indicated as a primary or adjunctive therapy in any detoxification regimen.
Dosing: Take 1 capsule, three times per day.
Bottle Size: DT-Matrix is available in 90 vegetable capsules per bottle.
Dr. Raza Shah ND is the clinical director at the St. Jacobs Naturopathic Clinic. Dr. Shah graduated from CCNM in 2001 and now runs a multidisciplinary practice and a general family practice to service the many rural communities surrounding St. Jacobs, Ontario. Dr. Shah is also a frequent lecturer for the Upper Grand District School Board, Conestoga College and the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine.